Hello list readers,
what about the following idea.
We could write the voucher Printig code in Flex2 / Actionscript-3.
(Flex2 runs in the Flash player as a virtual machine in all the popular
web browsers and is platform OS independent)
This code could be hosted in the M0n0 or stored on a external webserver.
Here are some advantages:
- The complexity of the M0n0wall would not increase.
(we all like m0n0wall because it is kept easy and simple)
This Flash application would talk to the stable voucher application done
by Marcel Wiget.
- This solution would use standard printer drivers.
- Widely lower cost USB Label Printer could also be used.
- Labels could also be printed on a standard Laser Printer. This would
allow to print adds or useful stuff on the voucher.
- optional flexibility, executing printing of vouchers trough the
landing page of the captive portal. For identification, customer name
and voucher code could be printed on the Voucher.(possible misuse could
be prevented by checking the MAC address of the guest PC who requests a
- optional flexibility doing a web based self service terminal.
- Some EU countries dictate by law the registration of user name.
- By doing this the developement cycle can be independent of the release
- Landing page branding could easily achieved.
I do not have any intention to interrupt the current discussion. I
thought it would be worthwhile to look at alternatives to implement a
flexible voucher printing solution.