[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lonnie Abelbeck <lists at lonnie dot abelbeck dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Replacing a net4801 with a net5501?
 Date:  Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:43:39 -0600
On Dec 29, 2007, at 3:09 AM, Chris Boot wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My net4801 that has been my router for a couple of years has not
> survived last night's thunderstorm. I was considering replacing it
> with a net5501, but does m0n0wall run properly on those? Can I just
> pop my 4801's CF into a 5501 and it'll work?
>
> Many thanks,
> Chris

I upgraded my net4801 to a net5501 a few months back, great upgrade.
No, you can't just pop-in your old CF card.

Hopefully you have a backup copy of your config.xml file, and either
replace your CF card or test the old one thoroughly to make sure the
storm did not effect it.  If you don't have a backup config.xml you
will have to recreate your m0n0wall configuration, unless you can
recover the config.xml file off the old CF card.

1) Using your backup copy of your config.xml file, in a plain-text
editor, replace all the ethernet driver references of "sis" to "vr",
and save that to 5501config.xml.

2) Create a fresh CF card with the latest Beta "generic-pc" m0n0wall
(1.3B7 currently).

3) Make sure you can connect to the Soekris serial console port (same
as net4801).

4) Change the net5501 console baud rate to 9600 (defaults to 19200),
while in the monitor command line type;
set ConSpeed=9600
and then reboot.

5) Confirm the net5501 BIOS is the latest, (1.32i currently).  If
not, upgrade.
http://soekris.com/downloads.htm

6) Install the fresh "generic-pc" CF card into the net5501.

7) Watch it boot into the m0n0wall Console Setup, and it should auto-
detect your ethernet ports, and create a default config.xml file.

     LAN IP address: 192.168.1.1

Enter a number: 1
Do you want to set up VLANs now? (y/n) n
Enter the LAN interface name or 'a' for auto-detection: vr0
Enter the WAN interface name or 'a' for auto-detection vr1
Enter the Optional 1 interface name or 'a' for auto-detection <RETURN>
The interfaces will be assigned as follows:

LAN  -> vr0
WAN -> vr1

The firewall will reboot after saving the changes.
Do you want to proceed? (y/n) y

This is good enough for now; to connect via the web interface, no
need to configure extra interfaces and such at this point.

8) Power down, Remove serial cable, and now connect with an ethernet
cable to the vr0 (LAN) interface, and power up.

9) With your computer set to a static IP address in the
192.168.1.0/24 range, point your web browser to 192.168.1.1 and use
m0n0wall's default username and password to enter.

10) Click "Backup/Restore", "Choose File" select your 5501config.xml
file from step #1, and then click "Restore Configuration".

Your net5501 should now be ready to service your network as before.

Hope this helps.

Lonnie