[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Adam Armstrong <lists at memetic dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Frank Altpeter <frank dot altpeter at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] autosensing with soekris
 Date:  Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:59:30 +0000
Frank Altpeter wrote:
> Hi list,
> I've got a question regarding the auto sensing of port type. One of
> our customers is connected via a LAN. Our endpoint is a HP switch,
> statically configured to do 10mbit/s full-duplex, and the customer's
> endpoint is a monowall on soekris hardware.
> While we were not able how to statically configure the port type, the
> monowall seems to synchronize to 10mbit/s half-duplex while the switch
> tells to do 10mbit/s full-duplex.
> This is producing packet loss.
> Is there any knowledge about this?
This is standard behaviour. If one port is forced to full duplex and
isnt' autonegotiating, the client side port will recieve no negotiation
and assume half-duplex.

You generally shouldn't force the properties of an ethernet port unless
you're using poor hardware with known issues (like some old cisco and
3com gear).