[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "Monowall User List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WAN download <> LAN upload
 Date:  Wed, 9 Jan 2008 17:18:19 -0500
On Jan 9, 2008 5:06 PM, Michel Servaes <michel at mcmc dot be> wrote:
> I have a generic pc, with 2 LAN & 1 WAN connection.
> LAN is my network
> LAN2 is my neighbour network
>
> When going to status: Interfaces, I have on a 2 day base the following
> transfers :
>

> WAN :    219,98MB/58.38MB
> LAN :    46,32MB/63,17MB
> LAN2 :   10,33MB/47,14MB
>

> When checking the upload on LAN + LAN2, it is somehwat in the
> neighbourhood of my WAN download
> But when checking against my WAN upload, it seems that this does not add
> up to my both LAN's.

It's a 32 bit counter, it rolls over at 4 GB, which is probably the
reason for the discrepancy.

> My firewall log shows a lot of ICMP's being blocked to 224.0.0.0 (which
> I believe is a broadcast of my ISP) - should I ignore this, or should I
> allow this broadcast into my firewall...

That's multicast, most likely routing protocols of your ISP. I
wouldn't worry about it and definitely wouldn't allow it (because that
would be pointless), you might want to put a non-logging rule on your
WAN blocking it so you don't get the log noise.

-Chris