[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Graves" <mgraves at mstvp dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Dual WANs & Dual m0n0walls?
 Date:  Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:52:13 -0600
Just recently I added a cable modem service to my home office. I
already have DSL. The cable modem was added for a specific purpose, to
do some streaming media, that requires extra outbound bandwidth. If I
tried to do it over my DSL I'd need to shut down all my other IP
applications, including my phones.

I know that m0n0wall does not support dual WAN. Each service comes into
its own m0n0wall on a Net4801. I've assigned them to different subnets.
The main SOHO LAN being 192.168.1.x and the cable modem being
192.168.2.x.

At this point the two don't ever meet. It seems silly to have the cable
modem essentially unused most of the time. Is there any way that I can
bridge the two networks so that the cable modems bandwidth can be used
for general purposes when I don't need it specifically for the
streaming video?

I would hope that I might cross connect them in some manner to give me
more bandwidth all the time, and failover should there be a problem
with one provider.

Michael
--
Michael Graves