[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Frank Altpeter" <frank dot altpeter at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Adam Armstrong" <lists at memetic dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] autosensing with soekris
 Date:  Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:46:20 +0100
2008/1/8, Adam Armstrong <lists at memetic dot org>:
> This is standard behaviour. If one port is forced to full duplex and
> isnt' autonegotiating, the client side port will recieve no negotiation
> and assume half-duplex.
>
> You generally shouldn't force the properties of an ethernet port unless
> you're using poor hardware with known issues (like some old cisco and
> 3com gear).

Well, having to manually set endpoints to a fixed value is strongly
recommended when running a LAN-connect e.g.
$enter-english-technical-terms-regarding-LAN - because there's often
problems when doing auto-sensing here. Well, at least when your're
running quite up-to-date HP ProCurve switches.
We've tried several scenarios with this customer's connection and
there were lots of errors when doing it the "auto" way because the
hardware between the two endpoints, which translate ethernet to ATM
and send the packets over 4x2mbit/s lines, doesn't seem to be able to
handle this.
Currently, the customer has to use another switch between his endpoint
and his monowall just because the monowall isn't able to be manually
set to 10/mbit/s-FullDuplex, which is a little bit sad - it works, but
it's sad :)

--

        Frank Altpeter

Two of the most famous products of Berkeley are LSD and Unix.
I don't think that this is a coincidence.
        -- Anonymous