[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ryan Mullins <rmullins at ciscomonkey dot net>
 To:  waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] re: initial setup
 Date:  Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:33:13 -0600
Along with Bill's comment about the (hopefully) typo.  You don't have
a 2nd IP Address to assign to your firewall.  With a /30 subnet mask
you will have only 2 valid IP Addresses, yours and your gateway.

Just for example.  If you have 192.168.0.0/30 as your network, you'll
have 2 IP's available for hosts.  192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.
192.168.0.0 would be your subnet and 192.168.0.3 would be your
broadcast address.  In your scenario, you would be assigned one of
these host IPs, and your ISP would be the other (This would also be
set as your gateway).

You said that you did one up from your modems static address, when in
fact you would have to replace your airport with your firewall and use
the IP Address you assigned to your airport, then put the airport
behind it in a private subnet.