[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bob Gustafson <bobgus at rcn dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch >> m0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP to M0n0wall via Mac and LinkSys router
 Date:  Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:47:45 -0600
On Jan 15, 2008, at 11:29, Lee Sharp wrote:

> Michael Lenaghan wrote:
>> Yes, that part I know about. At home I only ever connect to the
>> office
>> from one machine at a time. Even so, it's very flakey. In fact, right
>> now it's unusable.
>> Based on feedback I'm looking at replacing the Linksys as a first
>> step. Unfortunately, it doesn't really seem like any of the low end
>> home routers win much praise. (The WRV200 I'm using now is actually
>> supposed to be business class--and much of the time its internal web
>> server stops responding!) I can't run a PC at home full time like I
>> can at the office, so at the moment I'm looking into two options:
>> putting something like DD-WRT onto an old Linksys or getting one of
>> the small hardware kits that can run m0n0wall.
>
> All I will recommend is a Linksys WRT54GL with firmware or a
> m0n0wall. The rest are just too much trouble.  You can get an old
> PC for next to nothing, and use that.

At home, I have a Linksys WRT54GC and it has been up for months with
no attention.

As part of my traveling toolkit, I have another WRT54GC which goes
along with my laptop.

It does have UPnP enabled by default... (but I turned it off)

It also does not seem to have QoS (WMM..) as yet (firmware 1.05.7)

FWIW - Bob G