[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Monowall User List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Speed of the ALIX
 Date:  Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:38:43 -0500
On Jan 15, 2008 8:04 AM, Sebastian Davie <sd at clients dot ch> wrote:

> In Switzerland Cablecom has just introduced a new cable-internet
> subscription with 25Mbit down and 2.5Mbit up.
>
> I am using the wrap1e203 with monowall 1.23b3. I only can get a
> throughput / speeds of 15-17Mbit.

I doubt if it's your WRAP limiting it at that speed. With 1.2x and a
WRAP, you can easily push over 40 Mb. For high packet per second rates
common with applications like BitTorrent, that number is a bit lower,
but still should be 25 Mb easily. Is the CPU at 100% when pushing
15-17 Mb?

Also check Status -> Interfaces for any errors.

How are you testing to say that you're maxing out at 15-17 Mb?
Internet speed tests are poor indicators of performance on connections
that fast. I have a 15 Mb cable modem and speed tests rarely show
better than 5-10 Mb, but if I hit a really fast site (those are few
and far between), or grab a popular torrent, I can hit 15 Mb no
problem. I like to use Ubuntu torrents to test because they have
several hundred seeds so you should have no problem pegging your
connection.

> Do I need to change hardware and get an ALIX board? Does anyone have
> speed tests for any of the ALIX boards?

They'll do 100 Mb wire speed, but since the WRAP should be adequate
for your connection, I don't think throwing more hardware at it will
fix the problem.

-Chris