[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Trouble with remote NetBIOS name resolution over PPTP VPN.
 Date:  Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:59:41 -0700
> First off, thanks for looking!
>
> I am at a remote office of my company trying to integrate their accounting
> procedures with the home office. More specifically, I am trying to install
> accounting software on two remote PCs that communicate with our main
> accounting server in the home office. While using the PPTP VPN I can map
> remote shares to the remote server using the remote server's IP address,
> but unfortunately our accounting software (Peachtree Quantum) requires
> what they call "absolute paths" e.g. NetBIOS names for drive mappings, and
> not IP addresses.

I have been fighting with a very similar situation.  My differences are we
are using Sage BusinessVision for accounting, and instead of home users I am
working with consolodating accounting servers to our head office and allow
remote connections from our branch office.

As Lee said, try a WINS server.  I do not fully understand setting up DNS
for our internal hosts/servers, but WINS was really easy to set up.  I have
used it on both Win 2k and 2k3 servers and things are going well.  So far...

Aaron