[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Janvrin <chrisjanvrin at sellmytimesharenow dot com>
 To:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Trouble with remote NetBIOS name resolution over PPTP VPN.
 Date:  Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:49:05 -0500
Hello Michael, thank you for your help.

We are currently set up so individual PCs are "dialing in" to the remote
server via PPTP, not IPSEC.

Chris

Michael Brown wrote:
> I've encountered this same issue and their is an easy fix for it, but
> I need t know if by PPTP you mean one computer is "dialing" in to the
> remote site or if they are linked by IPSEC and by absolute paths you
> mean machine name like //server or //accounting?  I had a company in
> which it had a central office that was linked to 4 other sites by
> IPSEC and their AV & Mortgage software would only work with UNC paths
> like //server in the software (couldn't use map drives due to too
> different machines or IP address)
>
> I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase without knowing which
> is which first.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> Chris Janvrin wrote:
>> First off, thanks for looking!
>>
>> I am at a remote office of my company trying to integrate their
>> accounting procedures with the home office. More specifically, I am
>> trying to install accounting software on two remote PCs that
>> communicate with our main accounting server in the home office. While
>> using the PPTP VPN I can map remote shares to the remote server using
>> the remote server's IP address, but unfortunately our accounting
>> software (Peachtree Quantum) requires what they call "absolute paths"
>> e.g. NetBIOS names for drive mappings, and not IP addresses.
>>
>> The home office is equipped with a net5501-70 running m0n0 1.232, and
>> the remote office is equipped with a net4801-60 running 1.3b7.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
>>

>> Chris Janvrin
>> Dover, NH

Chris Janvrin
Network Administrator
SellMyTimeshareNOW, LLC
(603)516-0200 ext 2257
(603)516-0257 direct line
chrisjanvrin at sellmytimesharenow dot com
netadmin at sellmytimesharenow dot com
help at sellmytimesharenow dot com