[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Lenaghan" <michaell at dazzit dot com>
 To:  M0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Mac to Linksys to m0n0wall via PPTP
 Date:  Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:59:25 -0500
A couple of weeks ago I reported some reliability issues linking from
home to office via PPTP. On the home side I was using a Mac and a
Linksys WRV200 and at the office I was using m0n0wall.

There were two problems. First, it would often take several attempts
to connect. Second, after connecting I could lose the connection at
any point--perhaps within a minute, perhaps within an hour, perhaps
within a day.

People here mostly pointed the finger at the Linksys router. In the
end, I made two changes, and the problems disappeared.

The first change was reordering the PPTP and Ethernet connections on
the Mac, placing the Ethernet connection above PPTP in the list. I
won't get into why I did that; I just wanted to make the record
complete in case anyone else had PPTP issues on a Mac.

The second change was replacing the WRV200 with a WRT54G, and
replacing the WRT's firmware with DD-WRT v23 SP2.

I'm using one very interesting feature in DD-WRT--I'll put that in a
separate mail--but as I said, since making these changes things have
been completely stable. I've never had problems connecting, and I
haven't lost a connection.

Thanks for the feedback!