[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Lenaghan" <michaell at dazzit dot com>
 To:  M0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PPTP client in DD-WRT
 Date:  Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:21:58 -0500
DD-WRT has a number of interesting features, but I wanted to highlight
one that I hadn't seen in any other product. I think it's a great
candidate for m0n0wall.

DD-WRT is able to act as a PPTP *client* and connect one network to
another--in much that way that IPSec is often used. Except that PPTP
is easy to configure, and IPSec--well, not so much.

For me, this has been excellent, because I have a few machines at home
and a number of VMWare images. They're all able to talk to the office
at the same time--unlike regular PPTP which places some restrictions
on the source network address of clients.

As I said in other mail, this has been very solid. I've had no
problems of any kind. (I used the PPTP client on the Mac for a while
before switching to this approach, so I know that was solid too.)

To make this work you configure DNSMasq to forward a particular zone
to a particular server, rather like this:

server=/<zone>/<ip>

You can find more info on the DD-WRT wiki. Highly recommended, and
potentially a great addition to m0n0wall too.