[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  Chris Janvrin <chrisjanvrin at sellmytimesharenow dot com>, m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Trouble with remote NetBIOS name resolution over PPTP VPN.
 Date:  Sun, 20 Jan 2008 23:39:50 -0600
Ok, cool. What you do now is first check to see what domain you have
setup for "General Setup", might be anything (mydomain.com) or whatever.
Basically, you need to match that domain to a DNS override. To get to
that, you then go to "DNS Forwarder", turn it on if it isn't already
turned on. Next, put a check mark beneath it for the "Register DHCP
leases in DNS forwarder", finally you want to assign a static IP address
in the DHCP section for those computers in question. So for example, you
assign the "server" to 192.168.0.5. Afterwards, save all settings, and
have that machine renew it's IP address so that it pulls it's new static
address. Finally, go back to the DNS forwarder and create an "override"
DNS entry. In this case, it's set to the machine name followed by the
.domain part. So if the UNC name of that server was "server" and it was
assigned to 192.168.0.5 by DHCP, the DNS entry would be similar to
domain = server.mydomain.com
IP = 192.168.0.5

Save again, and from now on, any machine attached to that m0n0wall using
it's DNS for lookups will always resolve the UNC name of "server" to
192.168.0.5, which will make windows based programs using UNC finally
happy as it will resolve to a valid and known IP address. Drive mappings
will work, and all the other great stuff. You can even use this to map
UNC to a linux machine for example (which is what I do for windows sake).

That would allow you "trick" the UNC wanting programs without having to
reconfigure all the software for them, instead m0n0wall handles all of that.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Michael