[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP; file system full
 Date:  Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:25:11 -0500
On Jan 22, 2008 12:42 PM, Forest Bond <forest dot bond at logicsupply dot com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A customer is seeing "file system full" messages in his logs:
>
> Jan 15 12:21:56 monogw-rmueznet /kernel: pid 104 (dhcpd), uid 0 on /: file system full
> Jan 15 12:25:15 monogw-rmueznet /kernel: pid 104 (dhcpd), uid 0 on /: file system full
> Jan 15 12:26:36 monogw-rmueznet /kernel: pid 104 (dhcpd), uid 0 on /: file system full
>
> At this point the m0n0wall box is unable to provide more DHCP leases.
>
> If I understand things correctly, the file system in this case is in memory.
> Would adding more memory to the machine solve this problem?  It currently has
> 256MB.
>
> He says:
>
> "What I would LIKE to do is accommodate 1000 active simultaneous connections with
> a default lease time of 20 minutes."

Because of the short lease time, large number of DHCP clients and
limited file system size, the leases file will grow far too large for
an unmodified m0n0wall image. I'm sure it's the leases file taking up
the majority of the space, this isn't the first time people with large
DHCP server implementations have seen this. With a modified image, or
an external DHCP server, this will work fine.

-Chris