[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Forest Bond <forest dot bond at logicsupply dot com>
 To:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP; file system full
 Date:  Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:08:12 -0500
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 07:39:46PM -0500, Christopher M. Iarocci wrote:
> Forest Bond wrote:
>> A customer is seeing "file system full" messages in his logs:
>>
>> Jan 15 12:21:56 monogw-rmueznet /kernel: pid 104 (dhcpd), uid 0 on /: file system full
>> Jan 15 12:25:15 monogw-rmueznet /kernel: pid 104 (dhcpd), uid 0 on /: file system full
>> Jan 15 12:26:36 monogw-rmueznet /kernel: pid 104 (dhcpd), uid 0 on /: file system full
>>
>> At this point the m0n0wall box is unable to provide more DHCP leases.
>>
>> If I understand things correctly, the file system in this case is in memory.
>> Would adding more memory to the machine solve this problem?  It currently has
>> 256MB.

> Yes, the file system is in memory so adding memory should solve that issue.
> However, look at the system status page and see if it is actually using
> all memory to verify.

He said that the system status page does *not* indicate that memory is
exhausted.  How could this be?

>> "What I would LIKE to do is accommodate 1000 active simultaneous connections
>> with a default lease time of 20 minutes."

> As far as his question is concerned I'd say it all depends on the hardware.
>  I feel 1000 users should be behind a very robust router, and DHCP should
> be handled by a separate server in a network that big.  Maybe even 2
> routers using carp in case 1 fails.  1000 people is a lot of people to
> disappoint because you're cheap.  Unless of course it's free service.  In
> that case let em suffer.  :-)

It may, in fact, be a free service (municipal access)...

But, given enough memory, and assuming limited WAN bandwidth, the machine
*should* be able to handle the load, right?

-Forest
--
Forest Bond
Computer Engineer