 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: certificate based IPSEC VPN
 Date:  Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:18:05 +0200
Hi,

Surely you are not the second person ever to try to use the certificate
based VPN feature
but you are probably the first one who gets answer here. I have asked ~5
questions but have
got zero responds.

Hope this helps to you:
I used "Debian Etch" distribution of Linux to generate certificates:

In configuration file:
    openssl.cnf

uncomment the following line:
    subjectAltName=email:copy

And then start generating certificates/keys

This call generates CA sertificate:
    /usr/lib/ssl/misc/CA.sh -newca

This call generates sertificate and key for each node and also signs it by
CA:
    /usr/lib/ssl/misc/CA.sh -newreq
    /usr/lib/ssl/misc/CA.sh -sign

This call stores private key without password protection
    openssl rsa -inform PEM -in newkey.pem -out newkey2.pem -passin stdin

And then in m0n0wall ipsec config I choose "User FQDN" as "My Identifier"
and value
is email address that you entered while you generated node certificate/key

regards,
Marek

news:deee1e610801221211ld0b06c1s6a632b40f56111d3 at mail dot gmail dot com...