[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  Alex M <radiussupport at lrcommunications dot net>
 Cc:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 802.11 draft N miniPCI cards for ALIX
 Date:  Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:52:05 -1000
On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:22 PM, Alex M wrote:

> I've been doing research on N cards for last 2 years :) Here is the
> link to
> the chipset summary that we were able toput together about a year
> ago (I'f
> some one wanna add more cards, let me know and ill give you password
> input page)
>
> Point is the earlier pre-N draft N cars where build with "internal"
> driver
> so even if you have regular say atheros driver (supported in mono I
> believe)
> the card would operate as MIMO.

no.

> However, the standard itself (current version of .11n revision) says
> that device has to combine reflected radio
> signals... which means we can use either card CPU to do algorithms

you're going to *HAVE* to do this in the baseband.  Period.

> ==> more expansive cartds or we can use PC to do calculation

No, you can't.
> ==> new drivers for new chipset are needed.

Yes, they are, but these are mostly due to the MAC-layer enhancements
in 802.11n.

> SUMMARY: Old versions of atheros mimo cards should work on mono w/ old
> driver (they are a bit big, didn't fit WRAP. Don't know about ALIX)

they're unlikely to even survive the hw check in the HAL.   Next
question.

> Also SENAO released theur "smaal" mimo card recently, I dint try it
> yet but
> I bvelive its only comercialy useful solution out there, since it has
> acceptable dimensions (unfortunatlyy it supots only 2 antennas
> comparing to
> native atheros cards that have 4 antennas)

No current atheros chipset supports > 3 antennas.

http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5008E-3NG.htm