[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Harald Sauff <harald dot sauff at tu dash harburg dot de>
 To:  Monowall User List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] automatic change of ip when possible hacker...
 Date:  Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:25 +0100
That would be very risky. IP spoofing is nothing new, and especially for
UDP it's very easy. Would be pretty bad when your m0n0wall suddenly
blocks all responses from your DNS server because someone spoofed its
address... Gives a nice Denial of Service attack.

And about IDS:
It's "Intrusion *Detection* System", it doesn't necessarily *do*
anything but report about the incident. If it *does* something when
detecting an attack it would be an intrusion prevention system or an
intrusion reaction system.

greetings,
  Harry