[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 802.11 A/B/G mini PCI cards for ALIX
 Date:  Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:42:17 -1000
On Jan 25, 2008, at 8:08 AM, YvesDM wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I used the 200mW mini pci cards from pcengines
> They work fine on Alix 2C3 and m0n0 1.3. Setting up as AP is easy.
> I did set it up as AP for testing, it was working, but it didn't
> give me the
> result I expected (200mW card)

Nearly any Atheros-based 802.11g or 802.11a card will "just work".
There are a number of suppliers that can be found.  (Some even have a
clue about m0n0wall, and ship
it on Alix boards with Atheros-based cards.)

> Actually a WRT54GL with alternative firmware (also setup as an AP)
> gave me
> at least the same range and handled (in my opninion) the packets
> faster. But
> maybe you should just order such a card,pigtail and antenna (not that
> expensive) and experiment with it yourself.

same range:  since you did nothing to improve the ability of your AP
to receive packets (more tx power at the AP helps with packets toward
the client), then its
unsurprising that you didn't see an improvement in range.

As for 'handled packets faster', this could be any number of things,
from your perception, to linux perhaps running the receive interrupts
faster (on the WRT54GL).

jim