[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 802.11 A/B/G mini PCI cards for ALIX
 Date:  Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:37:26 +0100
On Jan 25, 2008 8:42 PM, Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com> wrote:

> > Actually a WRT54GL with alternative firmware (also setup as an AP)
> > gave me
> > at least the same range and handled (in my opninion) the packets
> > faster. But
> > maybe you should just order such a card,pigtail and antenna (not that
> > expensive) and experiment with it yourself.
>
> same range:  since you did nothing to improve the ability of your AP
> to receive packets (more tx power at the AP helps with packets toward
> the client), then its
> unsurprising that you didn't see an improvement in range.

Hi Jim,

Yes I did not put extra antenna's or so, but also on the linksys I didn't do
this.
I know wireless is two way communication (I also have a HAM radio license
:-) ), but I actually meant the receive signal measured on the laptop wasn't
specific a lot stronger from the 200mW compex card in the m0n0wall (equiped
with a 5dbi antenna) compared to the WRT54GL (at 100mW tx power)

> As for 'handled packets faster', this could be any number of things,
> from your perception, to linux perhaps running the receive interrupts
> faster (on the WRT54GL).

Yes indeed, that's why I also wrote, maybe you better just try it out for
yourself ;-)
Don't misunderstand, I liked the monowall as an AP, but like I said, for me
it didn't give me a much better result and wrt54gl is less expensive then
alix+case+wireless stuff. For the routing itself I always stick with
m0n0wall of course ! :-)

Kind regards
Yves