[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridged upstream shaping only working on OPT1 inbound
 Date:  Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:16:16 -0600
You want to use the WAN in the "out" direction, which I thought the
shaping wizard already does that (at least from memory it always did).
By design, both are correct, as anything going "out" to the Internet
would have to come "in" to the OPT1 first before going "out" the WAN.
Kind of like the RCA stereo equipment where you have an audio input and
output, and you have to make sure the input matches with the output when
wiring up devices to your stereo. That's about the closest thing that
comes to mind as a comparison.

Thing of your network like this:
Anything coming inbound (download) looks like Internet --> WAN In -->
OPT1 Out --> Computer
Anything going outbound (upload) looks like Computer --> OPT1 In --> WAN
Out --> Internet