[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Paul Rae" <paul at impacttrainingsolutions dot co dot uk>
 To:  "m0n0wall -" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Bridge Multiple Interfaces
 Date:  Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:50:41 -0000
I currently have a Soekris 4801 with addon card giving it a total of 5 interfaces.

eth0 - WAN
eth1 - LAN
eth2 - Wifi
eth3 - unused
eth4 - unused

Currently the LAN and Wifi interfaces are bridged and all devices run on the same subnet.

My current wifi setup has three AP's running in WDS repeater bridge mode. This is a little slow but
works for the moment.

I have now had the chance to get cat5 laid to all of the AP's, so plan on changing things so they
run as pure AP's to increase throughput.

My original plan has been to stick an AP on each of the unused ports on the soekris and bridge them
all to the LAN interface, but it seems from my testing you can only bridge one interface.

So the question is what is the best and easiest way to do this?

Also there are a few constraints....

Unfortunately dues to space constraints, I can't put a switch on the current Wifi interface and plug
them all in there. Also do to cable layout, all three cat5 cables for the AP's terminate near the
router. The router is nowhere near the main switch used for the LAN, so it's not even like I can
plug them in there. Ideally i would like to avoid doing that as it means messing around with more
cabling, but more importantly i would lose the ability to monitor the traffic going through each of
the wifi interfaces (currently use mrtg to record traffic data on each interface).

So what would people recommend....

Thanks

Regards,

Paul Rae
Business Development Director

Impact Training Solutions
Geddes House
Kirkton North
Livingston
West Lothian, EH54 6GU

Mobile : 07769 654302
Email  : paul at impacttrainingsolutions dot co dot uk