[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tet Yoon Lee <leety at ihug dot co dot nz>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Emule Low ID and KAD firewalled with 1.3b9
 Date:  Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:49:58 +1300
At 01:04 p.m. 4/02/2008, you wrote:
>On Feb 3, 2008 12:14 PM, Michele <myksto at libero dot it> wrote:
>>
>> Great, it works!
>> I don't excatly know what that rule does but the true question is: why
>> do I need to creat a rule in the outbound nat for this version of
>> M0n0wall when I never needed any in the previous versions (at least till
>> 1.3b4)?
>>

>It's not likely that's really the case. If disabling the source port
>rewriting fixes a problem, the problem would exist with every m0n0wall
>version ever released. The reason it's a problem is some applications
>break when you rewrite the source port, which m0n0wall has always done
>by default.
>
>This page explains what it does and why (works largely the same in
>m0n0wall). http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Static_Port

But I can definitely confirm that I've never had this problem in 1.3b4 and before including 1.2
versions. BTW I've been using m0n0wall for over 3 years or so I believe and I've used eMule or aMule
constantly as well using kad from more or less the moment it appeared in eMule. And I didn't change
any settings. I haven't tested extensively to confirm there's a problem post 1.3b4 but as I said I
did seem to have this problem in 1.3b6 and it sounds like Michele has tested more extensively then
me. And actually I just remembered now that I had two clients on different computers, one eMule one
aMule which has the problem after I 'upgraded' to 1.3b6 which was why I was suspicious and even more
so when the problem went away as soon as I 'downgraded' to 1.3b4 (which had been working fine for a
fair while). (I was planning to do more repetitions to confirm it wasn't a fluke and maybe find out
whether it's 1.3b5 or 1.3b6 where the problem first appeared before I reported it)

Cheers

P.S. I don't know if this is at all relevant but I've been using traffic shaping for a while