[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  Paul Rae <paul at impacttrainingsolutions dot co dot uk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall - <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridge Multiple Interfaces
 Date:  Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:37:45 -0500
Paul Rae wrote:
> I currently have a Soekris 4801 with addon card giving it a total of 5 interfaces.
>
> eth0 - WAN
> eth1 - LAN
> eth2 - Wifi
> eth3 - unused
> eth4 - unused
>
> Currently the LAN and Wifi interfaces are bridged and all devices run on the same subnet.

That is not required, right?

> I have now had the chance to get cat5 laid to all of the AP's, so plan on changing things so they
run as pure AP's to increase throughput.

> My original plan has been to stick an AP on each of the unused ports on the soekris and bridge
them all to the LAN interface, but it seems from my testing you can only bridge one interface.

> So the question is what is the best and easiest way to do this?

Why not just create a subnet for each WiFi interface:

INT	NET	IP SUBNET
---	---	---------
eth0	WAN	x.x.x.x/yy
eth1	LAN	192.168.0.0/24
eth2	WiFi_1	192.168.1.0/24
eth3	WiFi_2	192.168.2.0/24
eth4	WiFi_3	192.168.3.0/24

Then, if you like, you can use m0n0wall to simply pass all traffic
between your subnets, OR you can apply some firewall rules between
subnets and/or the Internet if you are paranoid like me. :)

P.S. I'm the guy who has his game consoles on a 'games' VLAN, completely
firewalled from the rest of my internal subnets - same goes for my IP
cameras on the 'camera' VLAN, and my wireless APs on the 'wireless' VLAN.

It seems to me however, based on your explanation of the current
configuration that you might want full access to the LAN and Internet
from the wireless clients but the above method without blocking rules
would still work nicely for you.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC