[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  Paul Rae <paul at impacttrainingsolutions dot co dot uk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall - <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridge Multiple Interfaces
 Date:  Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:10:48 -0500
Paul Rae wrote:
> Yup thats pretty much the same plan I had come up with, just wondered if there was another way I
hadn't thought of. The only concern I had with putting each AP on its own subnet was with roaming
clients.

> Currently as it stands when i client moves from one AP to another the passover is seemless, I
wasn't sure if moving from one AP to another on a different subnet may cause the client some
issues.....?

> Regards,

Ahh... yeah, you didn't mention roaming. :)

That will cause a problem in the sense that users will need to release
and renew their IPs to get a new lease on the new subnet if they move.

If the APs are far enough apart physically and don't really overlap, you
could name the SSIDs differently (by location for instance) and the
systems should be able to automatically join WiFi with the strongest
signal and then they would automatically get a new IP...

There really is no great solution without a small switch by the
m0n0wall, or without daisy-chaining the APs (assuming they each have a
few integrated switch ports)

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC