[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Falcor <falcor at netassassin dot com>
 To:  John Pettitt <jpp at cloudview dot com>
 Cc:  Carsten Holbach <Carsten dot Holbach at gmx dot de>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WAN DHCP problem
 Date:  Sat, 09 Feb 2008 13:35:36 -0600
John Pettitt wrote:

> Carsten Holbach wrote:
>
>> Chris Buechler schrieb:
>>
>>> There's your problem, your ISP's DHCP server isn't offering you a
>>> lease. Why it's hard to say, and extremely difficult to determine
>>> without seeing what's in the DHCP server's logs. I'd contact your ISP,
>>> they should be able to tell you why (if you can talk to someone with a
>>> clue).
>>>
>>> -Chris
>>>

>> I knew that this answer would come.
>> So please tell me this: Why do in not have the problem when I have my
>> computer connected to the cablemodem directly? OS is Windows XP.
>>
>> Greetings
>> Carsten
>>
>> -
>
> They probably have a one device per connection policy and the lease
> for your PC is still valid so it won't issue a new lease - try forcing
> your PC to release the lease before you disconnect
>
> (in a cmd window run"ipconfig /release" then unplug)
>
> John

Another work-around would be spoofing the MAC on your WAN to be that of
the PC's NIC.  Many times you need to reset the cable modem itself if
you put a new device on it.  E.g. another computer, a firewall, etc.
Some cable companies restrict things down to the MAC you registered with
them.  E.g. your workstation probably.  With all of these, spoofing the
MAC from your PC's NIC on the WAN interface should get around it.