[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WAN DHCP problem
 Date:  Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:38:08 -0500
On Feb 9, 2008 5:16 PM, Bob Gustafson <bobgus at rcn dot com> wrote:
> If you have a spare computer with 2 ethernet ports, you could set up its
> iptables to pass everything through from one port to the other, then if
> you need to, clone the ethernet port MAC to satisfy your ISP, then
> connect this computer in between your m0n0wall machine and the cable
> modem.
>
> If you run Wireshark and capture all of the packets around the time of
> the IP lease loss, you can see what is going on.
>
> Do the same hookup, but with your PC that does not loose its IP at
> midnight, and compare the captures..

That might be helpful, but I doubt it. It is the only thing you can
try at this point though. What it'll almost certainly show is what
m0n0wall's log shows - when it tries to renew, it sends the requests
multiple times and does not get any reply. In troubleshooting numerous
DHCP issues I've never seen the log differ from what was happening on
the wire.

That's why I keep saying ask your ISP what's going on, it's not like
m0n0wall is getting a reply that it has a problem with and won't use
for whatever reason (that would generate a different log message).
It's sending DHCPREQ broadcasts and getting no answer from your ISP.

-Chris