[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: AW: Problem with IPSec VPN Tunnel - MTU-Size?
 Date:  Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:43:20 -0600
I usually do, hehe.  But in this case, I could replicate the problem
across a few other OS and m0n0wall had never given me any issues like
this before, so I blamed it on Comcast and some weird network setup they
have causing strange things to happen. When I couldn't even get my two
linux machines on each to talk to each other via TCP/IP (using a port
tool for some simple message sending back and forth in client/server
mode) I knew something was up then. I just setup a bunch of pings back
and forth until I hit a magic number (1400 in that case) in which
everyone (all the different servers and computers) could do a successful
non-fragmented ping back and forth. The other tunnels connected to them
(from other ISP and some the same as AT&T) worked just fine. The low
1400 was for the windows machines, the others would work at 1472 (and
that would make it look like a PPPoE issue, but it was a straight pipe
to the gateway with a static IP)

So, this was just my experience and I've never seen it at any other
site, so maybe it was just a single m0n0wall machine at that location
doing strange things, but I haven't heard back from the customer since
last year so it must still be working properly. :-)