[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  JR <tiresias at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  ALIX system time
 Date:  Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:35:39 -0500
Hello,
Has anyone else with ALIX routers had problems with the system time being wrong?

My multi-site certificate based IPSEC VPN wouldn't come up and I found
two of my routers complaining that the certificates were not yet
valid. I used the date command on the exec.php page and found that one
thought it was 2000-01-01 23:30 and the other was 2000-01-02. Both of
these routers lost power briefly in the last couple days.

I've verified that the correct time is retained over a soft boot but I
am guessing there is no backup battery on the ALIX so the clock is
reset to 2000-01-01 00:00 on a cold boot? I have ntp enabled at the
default 300 min interval, with the server set to
0.north-america.pool.ntp.org, but apparently it did not update the
clock. I've seen cases where ntp will not set the clock if the
difference between the system time and the actual time is too great.
Perhaps that is what is happening here? Any ideas what to do about it?
Obviously I need the clock to be reasonably accurate, otherwise my VPN
won't come up.

Thanks,
JR