[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  JR <tiresias at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ALIX system time
 Date:  Sun, 17 Feb 2008 04:47:38 -0500
On Feb 16, 2008 2:10 PM, Chris Bagnall <lists at minotaur dot cc> wrote:
> > I've seen cases where ntp will not set the clock if the
> > difference between the system time and the actual time is too great.
>
> I don't think it's that, because it seems to happen randomly, not every time. I think that
sometimes NTP comes up before the net connection, and then fails because uk.pool.ntp.org (in my
case, yours is obviously different) isn't resolvable.

Even if it did fail to set the clock at boot, in this case both of the
routers in question were up for over 20 hours before I manually set
the clock, so using the default interval ntp should have had plenty of
chances to set the correct time.

> I have found it much more reliable using a local NTP server on the LAN interface rather than
getting time from <something>.pool.ntp.org. Might be worth giving that a try?

Unfortunately I don't have machines suitable for acting as local NTP
servers at these locations.

I am going to dig into the m0n0wall source and see if it will help
track down this problem.

JR