[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andrew Lewis <andrew at coastal dot com>
 To:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LoadBalancing revisited
 Date:  Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:40:05 -0500
Adam Nellemann wrote:

> Couldn't the traffic shaper somehow be used for load balancing? Assuming
> that m0n0wall will, at some point in the future, support more than one
> WAN interface.

That depends on where the shaper functions.  Is it before or after the
firewalling and NAT controls in the data path?

> If not directly supported by the shaper implementation (I guess that it
> would have to allow some rather "unusual" rules?), it would perhaps be
> possible to make something that monitors the traffic, and switch between
> different (sets of) rules, queues or pipes, depending on which interface
> has more leftover bandwith.
>
> This, of course, still leaves the question of how to handle the
> mentioned problems with sessions being split between interfaces
> (although the solution that keeps each client on a given interface
> during a session, might be possible using a source or destination mask
> on either the pipes or the queues in the shaper?)

I my case using source IP for the traffic splitting decisions is less
helpful, the boxes on the LAN side are squid proxies which generate
loads of traffic from their individual IPs on behalf of clients elsewhere.