[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andrew Lewis <andrew at coastal dot com>
 To:  Alexander Goldstone <m0n0wall dash list at zander dot net>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LoadBalancing revisited
 Date:  Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:00:06 -0500
Alexander Goldstone wrote:
> I was separating load-balancing from failover therefore I was assuming failover
> would be for a single WAN connection hence my mentioning state.
>
> Failover is something I am interested in and will at some point implement if

> that my background is Linux (LVS / Heartbeat) and, prior to installing

> http://www.bsdshell.net/hut_fvrrpd.html ) looks like it'll allow M0n0wall to
> fail over nicely.

I think you're referring to multiple m0n0wall units, in a high
availability configuration?

That's not quite what I'm referring to in my use of failover.  I am
referring to using whatever WAN interface has solid connectivity.  In my
case the upstream ISP may have a failure and I don't want to send any
more packets their way.  It's not as simple as a close router failure,
it could be a DDoS attack at their edge and even though I can talk to
their network I can't get to the internet at large through them.  Hence
the TCP/ping testing to something like google.com one each WAN interface
to determine if it has healthy connectivity.