[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chauncey Widdup <chaunceyw at sympatico dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPPoE Connection
 Date:  Fri, 13 Feb 2004 7:25:29 -0500
> m0n0wall uses LCP echos to detect if the PPPoE session has gone down;
> AFAIR if it doesn't get a reply to 5 echos (which are sent every 20
> seconds), it will try to re-establish the connection. It works fine for
> me, and I've never had to manually reconnect when my provider had been
> down. Maybe your ISP still responds to LCP echos, making m0n0wall think
> everything's still fine...
>
> - Manuel

One thing I do remember, when I have previously lost connection I have tried to change something in
the WAN page, then change back and save to see if that re-initialized the connection, however that
never seemed to work. I assume thats the same step as you just mentioned above.

It always took a reboot of the m0n0wall itself to reconnect.

When it happens I'll be sure to send the log to investigate a little further.

What I remember of the log would be along the lines of m0n0 sending out a query and waiting for a
response, after the time delay it would pause for a little while then try again. It would simply do
this over and over with no success, even though the modem is online. Again, reboot resolves the
problem where changing WAN page did not (in the manner that I made the changes anyway).