[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Barry Murphy" <barry at unix dot co dot nz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Bandwidth restriction of hostap
 Date:  Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:35:50 +1300
Hi,

My network layout is as follows:
http://www.unix.co.nz/~icepick/albanywireless.jpg

-When connecting directly to BASE.unix.co.nz I get a full 5.5MB / sec
(MRTG shows 4.8M/s)
-When connecting from local lan -> m0f0 I get a full 5.5MB / sec,
-When a client connects to the AP MIT.unix.co.nz and downloads from
m0f0, they get 5.5MB / sec (MRTG shows 960kb/s)

-however, when a client is connected to MIT.unix.co.nz and they download
from noddy, they only get about 80-150KB/s.

MIT is a hostap system on m0n0, I believe the restriction is on m0n0. I
have tried setting a client (connected to MIT) to have their default
gateway as noddy, and speed restrictions remain.

So in theory, noddy and DownloadClient are both 'clients' of the
MIT.unix.co.nz AP and when transferring between each other, they get
crappy bandwidth. MRTG graphs show

Does anyone have any ideas why users are getting such slow speeds when
talking from client to client over hostap.

Thanks
Barry