[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bandwidth restriction of hostap
 Date:  Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:44:22 +0100
Hi,

I seem to get a similar output from system.php:

wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast x.x.x.x
	ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect <hostap> (DS/2Mbps
<hostap>)
	status: associated
	ssid xxx 1:xxx
	stationname xxx
	channel 1 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
	wepmode MIXED weptxkey 1
	wepkey 1:64-bit wepkey 2:64-bit wepkey 3:64-bit wepkey 4:64-bit

Since I currently have no way of testing the actual bandwidth of my
wireless LAN, except from what the utility bundled with my PCI WNIC
says (connection speed: 11Mbps), I too would like to know if the above
indicates that the wireless card in my m0n0wall PC is actually running
at only 2Mbps? (My 1Mbit/256Kbit ADSL seem to get through nicely, as
does my printjobs to the LAN, but it is difficult to say what the
actual, not to mention maximum, transfer rates really are?)

Also, I see that authmode, webmode and keylength are all reported
here. Is it really the case that while these things are reported, they
still can't be changed?

I'm just wondering, since most other things reported above appear to
be configurable, while SSID broadcast mode isn't reported at all,
which goes along with the fact that this apparantly can't currently be
changed. I find it strange (although quite possible) that authmode and
wepmode should be reported but not configurable? (Same goes for
keylength, powersavemode and powersavesleep, not that I currently need
any of these changed.)

If anyone has any info about these things I (and Barry too, I'm sure)
would like to hear about it. I'd also like to know what the
"autoselect" indicates, and why there is a second "1:" entry for the
SSID (can there be more than one?)

Thanks,

Adam.