[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Dany Nativel <dany underscore list at natzo dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall-list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PCI WLAN card vs Ethernet WLAN AP
 Date:  Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:51:56 -0700
At 06:58 AM 2/12/2004, Dany Nativel wrote:
>On a Soekris board (4501 in my case), is there any advantage of using a
>mini-PCI WLAN card over an external WLAN AP connected through one of the
>ethernet port ?

That's one I'm still playing with.  I've got a net4501 with a Prism-based
miniPCI card (from Netgate).  It seems that sending anything like a
continuous stream of data over the wireless side of the world (like running
software update on my Mac iBook) will wedge it solid.  No response to
wireless, nor wired interfaces (even the console).  Power cycle is only option.

I believe the wi driver must be doing a lot of work with interrupts
disabled on each packet, and the 4501 runs out of CPU for user-land.

A net4801 might fix that, just because it is faster.

I have had much better luck with a cheap SMC WAP (SMC 2655W) connected to
the DMZ port, and I also get MAC level filtering to boot.

But I'm stubborn, and after spending the money for the wireless radio, and
spending an afternoon drilling holes in the Soekris case for the antenna,
I'm going to try to fix the problem with traffic shaping on the wireless
segment.  I'll let everyone know how that works out.

By the way, I rebuilt my bp27 image to put the watchdog back in.  At least
I don't have to crawl under the table to cycle the power on my box.  Just
wait about a half minute and it comes back.  I tried to convince Manuel to
leave it in (hint-hint), but apparently people prefer to have their box go
flakey when overloaded than to cleanly restart.

         -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228