[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Alexander Goldstone <m0n0wall dash list at zander dot net>, Andrew Lewis <andrew at coastal dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LoadBalancing revisited
 Date:  Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:07:05 -0700
At 09:12 AM 2/13/2004, Alexander Goldstone wrote:
>Since I've brought it up though, is there any sort of demand for a
>high-availability patch for M0n0wall (probably but not deffinately using
>vrrpd)?

We've been kicking the idea around.  We use vrrp between a pair of FreeBSD
based web servers.  The amount of multicast traffic for heartbeats is a bit
of an annoyance, but otherwise just fine.

On the other hand, if running m0n0wall on something like a net4801 (which
has no moving parts, not even a fan) you might want to consider the MTBF of
the box against the additional complexity.  And remember, if you have two
firewall boxes, you have twice the chance of a failure.

         -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228