[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall dash announce at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall 1.0 released
 Date:  Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:05:51 +0100
Today, exactly one year after the first version of m0n0wall has been
released on 02/15/2003, I'm proud to announce the immediate availability
of m0n0wall 1.0. I decided that it was about time we had a real release
(it seemed that some people had forgotten that "pb" stood for "public
beta" anyway), and today felt like the right day to do it.

m0n0wall 1.0 is essentially pb27 with a few minor fixes (see the change
log for details).

Get it at:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads.php

All older (pb) versions can be upgraded to 1.0 via the usual procedure.

This version number change of course doesn't mean that m0n0wall has
become completely bug-free overnight. I like to think though that
compared to other projects, it is now stable and featureful enough to
warrant not being called "beta" anymore.

Quite a lot has changed in these 365 days since pb1 - wireless support,
PPTP, DNS forwarder, IPsec VPN, 1:1 NAT, NTP, static routes, adv.
outbound NAT, SNMP, traffic shaper queues, mobile IPsec VPN, proxy ARP,
server NAT just to name the most obvious.

Here's the full change log:

- fixed port validation on filter, shaper and NAT pages, and fixed
ranges that include 1 or 65535

- fixed configuration backup download problem with Internet Explorer

- fixed typo on general setup page

- show hostname on system status page

- traffic shaping now works on bridged interfaces

- added note about proxy ARP to NAT pages

- changed DNS override description on system setup page (DNS servers
assigned via PPP on WAN don't work)

- imported modified version of choparp that supports IP address ranges;
modified webGUI to allow proxy ARP with ranges

- uploaded images are now verified using public-key cryptography - if
the digital signature is not correct, a warning is displayed (the user
is allowed to continue anyway though). The format of the signed images
can be found here, and the public key used to verify the images is here.
This release has not been signed to avoid problems when upgrading older
versions (it wouldn't make sense anyway because pb versions do not
verify it).

Enjoy!

- Manuel