[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: Web gui / remote XML updates... WAS RE: [m0n0wall] Port Knocking?
 Date:  Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:16:48 +0100

Mitch (WebCob) wrote:

> I think there will be a need for this - just not sure about storage of it or
> how to manage and discern common config items across multiple units - I'm
> speaking from the theoretical side right now anyways - I don't have the time
> to play with it at the moment - I am an old hand at BSD and windows, but
> took an interest in this project because it was going in a useful
> direction...

I was thinking something along these lines:

A standalone editor, perhaps looking a bit like the m0n0wall webGUI,
preferably able to run in any XML compatible browser (XML/XSL with aid
from either PHP or Java for the file reading/writing), able to edit
local and networked config.xml files (perhaps later on there could
even be some kind of built-in FTP/HTTP functionality, allowing the
editor to work directly with m0n0wall as well?)

The editor could then be made to support working with multiple files.
I imagine this done by selecting which fields / sections are "common",
allowing these to be set for all selected files at once, while other
fields / sections would be set for each file individually (possibly
with some "automation" aids, for quickly filling out fields with
contigous IPs and similar).

One way to do this would be by using "templates", where all the common
stuff can be preset, perhaps making the editor show only the fields /
sections needing to be filled in? I guess the technology would be a
bit like mail-merging, allowing some fields to be filled automatically
from a file or by simple formulae (ie incrementing an IP or such),
while others, needing to be entered manually for each file, would be
presented to the user for editing.

All this being said, I'm afraid that I've recently been swamped with
work, and this just after having commited myself to helping with the
m0n0wall documentation project. It is therefore unlikely that I'll
find the time to start working on the editor in the near future.
Perhaps someone else, with a greater need than I for such a utility,
will take it on..?

Adam.