[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andrew Lewis <andrew at coastal dot com>
 To:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LoadBalancing revisited
 Date:  Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:17:14 -0500
Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
> Hi Andrew - Haven't heard of any more work... though a bunch of us are
> pondering solutions...

I certainly wouldn't mind being a test site.

> If you have ideas on HOW those other two work - share please.

There seem to be two parts:  the load balancing and the failover.

The load balancing seems to monitor the NAT and firewall state tables to
determine which ethernet interface gets the new connection.  (Connection
being a new NAT/PAT table entry).  The determination of which interface
to use is based on whatever the user defines.  Things like:

-Traffic spill over:  One link is saturated, use the other
-Connection percentage:  One link gets 80% of all connections
-Plain failover: if one is down, use the other

The failover mechanism does periodic simple PING or TCP connects on
remote hosts to determine if the ISP is up.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the firewall and routing
mechanisms in m0n0wall to even speculate on how to implement it.