[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LoadBalancing revisited
 Date:  Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:28:09 +0100
> Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
>
>>Hi Andrew - Haven't heard of any more work... though a bunch of us are
>>pondering solutions...
>
>>If you have ideas on HOW those other two work - share please.

Forgive me for breaking in, especially as I'm somewhat new to the
advanced aspects of firewalling, not to mention UNIX in general.
However, I just wanted to add this idea (which you might very well
have thought of already):

Couldn't the traffic shaper somehow be used for load balancing?
Assuming that m0n0wall will, at some point in the future, support more
than one WAN interface.

If not directly supported by the shaper implementation (I guess that
it would have to allow some rather "unusual" rules?), it would perhaps
be possible to make something that monitors the traffic, and switch
between different (sets of) rules, queues or pipes, depending on which
interface has more leftover bandwith.

This, of course, still leaves the question of how to handle the
mentioned problems with sessions being split between interfaces
(although the solution that keeps each client on a given interface
during a session, might be possible using a source or destination mask
on either the pipes or the queues in the shaper?)

Just a thought!

Adam.