[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Custom RDR NAT rules: How to add?
 Date:  Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:06:00 +1000
Hi Dave,

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 12:11, dave wrote:
> Now my question:
>
> We all know about the DNS overrides that need to be in place in order
> for LAN hosts to be able to access DMZ hosts by hostname. On OpenBSD, I
> overcame this problem with RDR NAT rules which said basically:
>
> rdr xl0 <public ip address> port 80 -> 192.168.95.5 port 80 tcp
>
> Where xl0 is my LAN interface and the public ip address is whatever
> dmz.host.com resolves to. This worked beautifully.
>
> How would I go about adding a similar rule using exec.php?? Is it
> possible?

Using the features available in the webGUI, go to the "DNS Forwarder"
page, and down the bottom you'll see the "overrides" section.

Add an entry such as:
Host	Domain		IP		Description
Virgil	example.com	10.0.0.5	Virgil (in the DMZ)

> Also, is there a chance we might someday see a checkmark in the webgui
> along the lines of "Add Server/1:1 NAT RDR rules from LAN" to accomplish
> the same thing?

The functionality you need - DNS overrides for DMZ machines - is already
in the webGUI.

> Lastly, is there any particular reason why this might *not* be a good
> idea? If I'm way off with this, I'd definitely like to know.

It is a good idea.  It is also implemented already.  :)

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/