[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alexander Goldstone <m0n0wall dash list at zander dot net>
 To:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LoadBalancing revisited
 Date:  Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:34:51 +0000
Adam is absolutely correct.

If you look at each box individually, doubling the number of boxes will
obviously increase the chance that a single box fails.

However, in this context, our concerns are not whether a box has failed. We are
concerned with minimizing network down-time. As such, it is important that a
second firewall can automatically take over if the first fails. This should
mean a network down-time of approximately 3 seconds instead of the time it
takes to swap-out the firewall manually (considerably longer than 3-seconds).

Of course, this comes at the cost of adding an additional level of complexity to
the firewall configuration. On the basis that a default setup would be a
single-box solution (as it is now) and that fail-over would be an entirely

I appreciate that the majority of people will be using M0n0wall in an office or
home environment and are probably wondering how critical an Internet connection
can be. Whilst we obviously use firewalls in this environment (including
M0n0wall) we also require firewalls to head up our data-center based web/email
clusters hence the importance of uptime.

Alex.