[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Olivier Nibart" <olivier at naya dash tec dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  traffic shaping + happy birthday !
 Date:  Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:58:02 +0100
Hi,

First of all I wish to thank you and congratulate Manuel for this
*great* job. I think a lot of us now how much time it is to write good
code.

I'm not sure I fully understood the use of the traffic shaping (in fact,
I'm sure I don't :)).
Here's what I've done, please tell me if I'm wrong or not, and how I can
improve that setting.

I have a leased line with 128Ko bandwidth. I want to :

1) Give the highest priority Citrix client connections (from outside)
2) Give the lowest priority to SMTP connections (in and out)
3) Give a medium priority to other connections (HTTP, SSH, .)

- I've created 2 pipes of 120Ko, one representing the uplink, the other
the downlink.
- I've created 6 queues, 3 for each pipe, with weight of 1, 20, 100

- I've created 2 rules for SMTP :
-- interface : WAN / dest port : 25 / direction : in / Queue : weight 1
bounded to 'uplink' pipe
-- interface : LAN / dest port : 25 / direction : in / Queue : weight 1
bounded to 'downlink' pipe

- I've created 2 rules for Citrix :
-- interface : WAN / dest port : 1494 / direction : in / Queue : weight
100 bounded to 'uplink' pipe
-- interface : LAN / src port : 1494 / direction : in / Queue : weight
100 bounded to 'downlink' pipe

- and for the rest :
-- interface : WAN / any ports / direction : in / Queue : weight 20
bounded to 'uplink' pipe
-- interface : LAN / any ports / direction : in / Queue : weight 20
bounded to 'downlink' pipe

When the src or dest is not specified, it is 'any'.

I'm really not sure it's a good setting...

Olivier Nibart