[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Grayson <fred underscore grayson at yahoo dot com>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Beta 1.3b10 released
 Date:  Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:25:18 -0800 (PST)
Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net> wrote: On 02.03.2008, at 00:47, Fred Grayson wrote:

> One small thing about the latest Beta 1.3b10 - I upgraded with this
> image and in all the places I can find it, the screens show I'm
> still running 1.233.

Then it's quite likely that the upgrade has failed. If you're using
the generic-pc version, that's probably because 1.3b10 is too large to
fit in the MFS that 1.233 allocates for a firmware upgrade.

Try upgrading from 1.233 to 1.3b7 (which is a bit smaller) first, and
then from 1.3b7 to 1.3b10.

http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads-local/generic-pc-1.3b7.img

I guess I'll have to make an updated 1.23x version with a bigger
firmware MFS size so that people can upgrade properly from 1.23x to
the latest 1.3b versions.

- Manuel

OK, I saw what happened. I watched the m0n0wall console (rather than the machine I was using to do
the upgrade). Something along the lines of ad2s4 - slice extends beyond end of......truncating. So
this was a failed upload and it remained at 1.233....which is nice that it remains usable rather
than hosed.

Next I tried your suggestion and upgraded to 1.3b7. This appeared to complete, but when it rebooted
it was non-operable. Getting "watchdog timeout" on the interfaces.

I am writing this from a m0n0 1.233 I had on a small hard drive that I put into the machine with the
hosed flash drive. My problem now is that I have no way of booting this machine with an OS so that I
can re-flash the flash drive. I'll have to move the flash drive to another machine to do that.
Later, maybe tomorrow. I am back up on the spare. I also have spare flash drives, so when I burn the
hosed one, I will make a spare at the same time.

Uggg......

FG