[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] getting wireless and wired to talk to each other
 Date:  Sat, 1 Mar 2008 22:09:44 -0700
On 01/03/2008, Joshua Rountrey <josh at rountrey dot com> wrote:

> I'm truly sorry if this has been covered but here it goes:
> here is my setup
>
> dsl bridge -- m0n0wall 192.168.0.1 -- opt1 bridged lan to
>                in basement             cheap wifi router
>                    |                   upstairs 192.168.2.1
>                rest of wired
>                network (with
>                print server)
>

> What i want to do is try to print from my laptop (wireless) to my print
> server (wired), Can anyone lead me to an answer about how to do this? or
> is it even possible?
>
> Thank you
> Josh Rountrey
>
> ps. in case you are curious i am using m0n0wall and a wifi router
> because its tough to get a good signal out of the basement, even with a
> 5.8 ghz phone.

This should be as simple as adding a network printer on your laptop using
the printer's IP address. If your OPT1 is bridged to the LAN, then mono
won't prevent that from happening unless you have "Enable Filtering Bridge"
option enabled, in which case you will need to create a rule on the OPT1
interface allowing the connection. Your cheap wireless router will not block
the connection by default either.

Are you using the wifi router to firewall the upstairs network from the
downstairs network, or are you just using it as an access point? If the
latter, then you could simplify life by turning of the wifi router's dhcp
server and connecting its LAN to the monwall, rather than its WAN. It will
then act as a switch/access point rather than a router, placing your
upstairs and downstairs machines on the same subnet with no filtering in any
direction. Further, if your wifi router has enough free ports, you could
eliminate the need for an OPT1 interface on the mono by plugging your
downstairs network into the wifi router's LAN thus:

internet

WAN

mono

LAN--------LAN-wifi router