[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Static Routes Between m0n0wall OPTs
 Date:  Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:33:58 -0600
Hey All,

I am having an issue my brain and setting up static routes.  Here is the scenario: I have my main
m0n0wall for my internal network - WAN to Internet, LAN to this network, and OPT to a remote network
(private wireless link).  At the remote network I also have a m0n0wall - WAN to Internet, LAN to
workstations, OPT local network (wireless).  I am trying to set up static routes so I can do some
management stuff on devices at the remote end.  ASCII art below:

Local Workstations

m0n0wall-1 LAN (192.168.2.254/24)

m0n0wall-1 OPT (10.61.32.254/24)

\     wireless link
/

m0n0wall-2 OPT (10.61.32.27/24)

m0n0wall-2 LAN (10.32.12.254/24)

Remote Devices

The local workstations use m0n0wall-1 as their default gateway, and the remote devices use
m0n0wall-2 as their default gateway.  The m0n0walls can ping each other, and they can ping through
to the remote networks (ie. m0n0wall-1 can ping a remote device).  However, devices in the remote
network can't ping the local m0n0wall-1, and workstations in the local network can't ping the remote
m0n0wall.  So basically, the m0n0walls can reach all subnets, but the hosts behind them can't.

I have set up static routes in the m0n0walls, but I'm likely doing something wrong.  Example on
m0n0wall-1: Int. LAN, Network 10.32.12.0/24, Gateway 10.61.32.27.

Any help or ideas is appreciated.  Can I even do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks in advance.

Aaron