[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ervin Malicdem" <schadow1 at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic Shaping Priority Query
 Date:  Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:30:22 +0800
Hello

I am currently having a dilemma on how to properly implement my traffic
shaping policies.

Goal:
*I wanted to maintain a specific computer (HiPC) to always have the highest
priority for upstream and downstream, except that i want to maintain HTTP
traffic to have the lowest priority throughout the network including HiPC.*

Please assume that aliases, queues and pipes are already properly setup.

Which should I place above the traffic shaping rules?

*This?*
               If          Proto     Source       Destination
Target               Description
1stRule: WAN->   TCP       *               * Port  80       LowPrioDown
HTTP In
2ndRule: WAN<-   TCP      * Port 80    *                   LowPrioUp
HTTP Out
3rdRule:  WAN->  *            *               HiPC             HiPrioDown
     HiPC Down Priority
4thRule:  WAN<-  *            HiPC         *                   HiPrioUp
       HiPC Up Priority

*or this?*

               If          Proto     Source       Destination
Target               Description
1stRule:  WAN->  *            *               HiPC             HiPrioDown
     HiPC Down Priority
2ndRule:  WAN<-  *            HiPC         *                   HiPrioUp
       HiPC Up Priority
3rdRule: WAN->   TCP       *               * Port  80       LowPrioDown
HTTP In
4thRule: WAN<-   TCP      * Port 80    *                   LowPrioUp
HTTP Out

Thanks in advance.