[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Some questions about m0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:09:02 -0600
On 13/03/2008, Adam Piasecki <apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm planning on deploying some net5501 w/monowall or pfsense as i hear
> they are a pretty good box for m0n0wall. My plan is to use this box and
> scale up in hardware where ever needed.
>
> Some questions,
>
>    1. Can someone please tell me how you would tell m0n0wall to
>       recognize the extra ram, in the FAQ it's limit is 64mb.

It will recognise more. I have run mono with as much as 512MB and it is
recognised. I have as much as 15% of this memory in use, suggesting that it
is not only recognising, but also using more than 64MB.

   2. What are the largest loads that people have put on m0n0wall, DHCP,
>       user number and bandwidth?

I'm aware of ~550 internet dhcp users on a monowall. Bandwidth has been
limited to 10mbps * 2, but that is about to get bumped up to 20 *2. cpu
usage is still very low, so the increase won't be a problem. This same setup
sustained several hundred mbps in a simple iperf test (see "benchmarks" in
forum).

   3. 30,000 firewall states is the limit, is there any way to increase
>       this?

Only if you compile your own image.

>    4. What other tweaks can i put on m0n0wall to make it work under
>       large loads.

Interface polling might help. See http://m0n0.ch/wall/hardware.php

db